How to reset the Joomla 3 admin password. This article is going to outline the steps that will help you to reset your Joomla 3 admin password through PHPmyAdmin. There are situations where we tend to forget the password, however, to reset the password of Joomla 3 administration area there are different ways.
The scenario we are discussing in this article is about resetting your Joomla password through the database by visiting PHPmyAdmin.
Since you have forgotten the password there are high chances that you will not be able to take any backup of your Joomla website. I would recommend that you take regular backups of your Joomla to avoid disasters in such scenarios.
You forgot your Joomla administration password and are unable to login to the administration area. Not able to reset it through any other methods.
In order to perform the steps mentioned below in this resolution, you would need access to your hosting account and should be able to login to your cPanel.
Through your hosting account, you should be able to access the database of your Joomla 2 website via PHPmyAdmin.
Follow the steps outlined below carefully:
- Access PHPmyAdmin and expand the list of databases on the left panel
- Carefully locate the database of your Joomla Website
- You should be able to find the correct name of your Joomla database by accessing the configuration.php file located under the root of your Joomla core files. Should be something like: “public $db = ‘your_database_name>’;”
- Now expand the database of your Joomla website
- Locate the Users table and click on it
- Now click on Edit link in the username row to reset a password for that user
- Under the password field row, select MD5 from the dropdown
- Enter your desired password in the value column
- Scroll down and click on the Go Button
- You should see a success message about the row being affected
Now head over to your Joomla 3 Administration page and try login with your newly set password. You should be able to login with no issues now.
Applies To: Joomla 1.6, 2.5 and 3.x
If you face any difficulty while deploying this fix, drop me a line and I will be happy to help you. Did you find it helpful? Drop a line and share it forward to help others. Have a nice day.